Wednesday, June 12, 2013

From Yins to Y'all



Hi friends! This long overdue post is very necessary because I have officially survived my first year of teaching!!!! I now completely understand all aspects of the word "survivor". My lack of posting anything since September was not me giving y'all the silent treatment. It has only been because my life has been totally consumed by my crazy, beautiful year as a first year kindergarten teacher. The journey was not all smiles. There were many ups and downs but overall this has been one memorable year that has changed my life for the better!

My kindergarteners' "silly" pic on Field Day!

I know what most the non-teachers out there may be thinking... No time? Surely you could have some spare time to share the wonderful news. HA! Here's an explanation in a nutshell. Teaching is not a job that stops when the bell rings at the end of the day, especially for a new teacher! From week night to weekends I was creating stations, planning, learning the new CCSS (Common Core State Standards), grading, laminating, conferencing-calling-writing parents and the list could go on for days, but to save you I'll stop. Once you think you are ahead, have checked everything off your list more magically appears like a scene from Harry Potter! The checklist doesn't stop, sadly even after school has ended for the summer. This a promise! Teaching is no job for anyone who isn't passionate about educating. Sharing the news on my blog clearly wasn't even close to the top of any of my lists. So sorry and it will never happen again.



Now that school has ended, I finally have a bit of time to breath get back to my favorite hobby, blogging! I have been yearning for this day. First off, let's explain this title. Clearly I have moved South. Raleigh, North Carolina to be exact. Instead of hearing "yins", I now hear "ya'll" and have totally picked up on some of the slang. The slang is a whole other post in itself. The thick accents have no effect on me now, but when I first moved hear that's all I could think about when people were talking to me. Most of what they were saying went in one ear and out the other. I would find myself trying to mimic them without even realizing it. Thank goodness that has stopped and hopefully no one ever heard my attempts. And yes many of my co-workers consider me a "Yankee" or "Northerner". I never heard this word so much than out of the mouth of my TA (teacher assistant) aka one of my new Southern mothers. She held the worst stereotype for us so-called Yankees. Luckily I have broke the mold for many of her opinions of us from the North.


This big step in my life was NOT  an easy one to say the least, but I have never been more proud of myself for choosing to make this move. I honestly couldn't have asked for a better place to work. I am the luckiest girl to have been welcomed by such an inspiring, caring, welcoming, generous staff. From my Kindergarten Team to the ladies in the office, they all have all taken me in as part of the family that is created at this school. I am so honored to be a part of NHPS. I seriously have never met so many people who genuinely cared about how I was doing with the move and all that comes with being a first year teacher. I never expected to love my job so much especially with being so far away from my family and friends. The main reason I took a job out of state was because I just wanted a classroom to call my own and the thought of substituting made and still makes me nauseous. Now the thought of teaching somewhere else immediately makes me tear up. I don't know how I could ever leave this place! (Sorry Mom! Maybe one day...)

Most of the K Team in our Pete the Cat costumes

So now that I have finally let my first batch of babies go on to become first graders, I have never been more appreciative of summer break. I will be heading home to Pittsburgh in a few days to spend some much needed time with family and friends before we take a family vacation to Orlando! Our usual mother/daughter trip to Disney has grown this year to a full blown family vacation plus some very close friends! It will be my not so little cousin Colin's first time to Disney and on a plane! I have never been so excited to experience this magical moment with him. My cousin Kelly just surprised us by giving in and joining the trip as well so I'm positive we'll be making a stop at Sea World to see some orca whales. And as long as I'm alive and in Orlando I clearly have to visit Hogwarts. Always a kid at heart.

P.S. Don't you worry now, I'll be sure to keep up with my posts and share more about my first year as a teacher. I've got plenty of stories to share that are bound to put a smile on your face. :)

My kinders after winning both the media & computer awards!



2 comments:

  1. You're a doll and I can sense how much you love what you do simply through words. Not many people can honestly say that they are doing what they love the most, so we are very lucky people. Can't wait to see you back in the burgh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Corny! Glad I could finally share my perspective with everyone. I sure do miss home though and can't wait to see your pretty face! :)

    ReplyDelete