Sunday, July 7, 2013

Don't Judge A Book By It's Cover



Original title, right? I typically pride myself with my catchy tittles, but this overdone saying felt necessary considering the circumstance. The other day, I finished a book that I quite frankly "judged by it's cover". This lonely book has been sitting on my bookshelf, at my parents' house nonetheless, for over a year now. (The poor thing, I didn't even want to bring it along for the move!) For months, when that magical time came for me to choose my next book my eyes just skimmed right over it. Why would I buy this book and not read it you may ask? Well I'm one of those people who feels it is absolutely necessary to get any book I might possibly want to read one day. Running to the bookstore, when that moment comes, would be just ridiculous! It's easier to have a library in my own home. This one seems as though it was a must buy because it was listed on those convenient slips Barnes & Noble likes to throw in your bag. Oh you know, those lists attached to your receipt. For normal people it's just a list of books similar to the ones purchased. For bookworms like me it is says, "Buy these books now or you will be banned from Barnes and Noble for life!" If you think people don't give into that marketing genius, you're wrong. I feel I might die a painful death if I don't have those similar books lined in an alphabetical order ready to be read at my beckon call. Books are my drug of choice.



This is an example of my most recent slips. So random, right? I can never leave a bookstore without choosing a new picture book. Remember, I am a kindergarten teacher. The picture book addiction is in my blood. 

Okay enough with giving away my geeky disorders! Let's get to telling you about this new word I have been sucked into. I don't like giving too much away, you can do all that on your own. It's called Google. A good sales pitch I can do. The book I so desperately had to finish the other day is the first book of a series called The Mortal Instruments. The City of Bones is the first of Cassandra Clare's six book fantasy series. It's basically a young adult urban fantasy series. Clary Fray, the main character, soon finds out the New York she grew up to know isn't so familiar. This alternate New York known as the Downworld is filled with mysteries creatures she thought were only found in stories. Clary is your typical geeky hipster with a sarcastic tongue who is soon thrown into a world of Shadowhunters. This book is a lot different from what I've been reading lately. Clare (author) gives the book what I would call "attitude" or "personality". And of course what is a book without some love? Clary finds herself between caught between Jace, the charming, but boastful heartthrob and Simon, the quirky, loving best friend. Both of which have endearing personalities. Before you make any assumptions, they are nothing like Edward and Jacob, but I'm sure they'll have the same affect on the tweens shortly. The end is shocking and makes you immediately want to pick up the next book.

Book Six: City of Heavenly Fire is coming out April 2014

^Stephenie Meyer even loves the book! Come on Twihards, how could you possibly resist? ;) There's definitely some love brewing and a lot of sexual tension, but it's far from the plot of Twilight. 


Oh my goodness! I have fallen in love with each of these characters and find myself disappearing into the world of Shadowhunters when I'm reading them. That is when you know you've got yourself a good book. I'm a sucker for book series, have been since my beloved Twilight books. I always want more after I'm done with a book. With a series, you get more. Of course, they have to end somewhere, but now you know the ins and outs of this place. You are left feeling as though you lived another life.


Mundane is one of the many new words and concepts you've got to be ready for in TMI. "Mundie" reminded me of one of my favorite word-maker-uppers. J.K. Rowling of course, you Muggle! At first, the new vocabulary was overwhelming. It's rough for a nerd to keep all her fantasy words straight. When a new series comes into the picture, I often find myself rereading paragraphs to make these new words "stick". Kinda like when you're reading a textbook for school. Unlike textbooks, the characters and the story makes you want to do the rereading so you can grasp every single aspect of these words so perfectly woven together.


One of the major reasons for finally giving into reading the first of TMI was the movie release date. August 21 is creeping up faster than I'd like to admit. I simply can't explain the excitment I get from having my favorite books come to life in the form of a movie. You could say it has filled the gaping hole in my heart that was ripped out when I heard Santa doesn't really deliver my presents. Now I get that feelings sometimes more than once a year in the form of a movie. Of course there's that dreadful thought the movie will just be a massive disappointment. I truly don't believe any movie can kill a beloved book, no matter how horrible it is. If you read the book first, the movie can't take away what you created in your mind. If your imagination is still young at heart, the movie will never compare! You've just got to realize that and look at it positively. Seeing others' perspectives of how they saw every detail of the book is still just as fascinating to me. The concept of two of my favorite things colliding - books & movies - will never get old! (Not to mention adding a soundtrack!) books + movies + music = LOVE

Jace & Clary
Lily Collins will play Clary and Jamie Campbell Bower will play Jace. I knew what the cast looked like before I started to read. In this case, I liked that, but sometimes it's fun to create the characters on your own and see who they end up casting for the roles.

Simon, Jace, & Clary
Clary, Simon, Jace, Alec, & Isabelle
"Black, for hunting through the night."

The track list of the soundtrack was recently released I like what I see! If you go to Cassandra Clare's blog you can even get a taste of three of the tracks from Demi Lovato, Colbie Caillat, & Zedd. And uh hello! AFI for the come back? If I do recall, back in the day my angelic friends + role model cousin & I got ourselves kicked out of an AFI concert. One of those many vacation stories that will never be forgotten. ;)


I added the newest movie trailer below. I'm surprised by how much it gives away and I already can count on my hand differences from the book. (That's just what book nerds do, it's a major problem that can't be stopped.) Although, it still won't keep me from seeing it! The countdown is on!






The moral of this post is simply do NOT judge a book by it's cover. It may be an old saying that is most often referred to metaphorically, but in this case take it literally. You never know what wonderful world you might be missing out on.  

No comments:

Post a Comment