Thursday, September 13, 2012

I Am Divergent

It isn't a shocker that one of my favorite things to do is read. There's nothing more wonderful than snuggling up with some coffee/tea and getting sucked into a good book. I recently finished a tremendous book after several months of just staring, with starry eyes, at it on my book shelf. The wait was well worth it. While student teaching, my cooperating teacher suggested it to me, but at the time I had not a single spare moment to start it. The suggestion came after she found out we share many of the same obsessions. For example: The Hunger Games, Harry Potter and many more nerdy similarities. She just gets me.

Ladies & Gentleman, I'd like to introduce you to a little book called Divergent.


Lately I've been extremely fascinated with futuristic, dystopian worlds. It's a possibility it may come from some of my negative ideals of this technological world we live in today. Don't get me wrong, I take almost full advantage of all the advances we are blessed with. The part that I'm not so thrilled with is what it has done to the majority of men today. I should probably refer to them as boys. I'm sure it has ruined some woman as well, but remember this is my point of view. I'd rather have a man ask me to cook his dinner than to get ridiculously stupid or obscene late night text messages. Come on ladies, you all know one guy out there who is guilty of it, but thinks he's borderline amazing. (For all the boys reading this who are guilty as charged... Stop. It's repulsive and we do NOT enjoy it. Although, we do enjoy sharing & showing all our friends.) Here is a perfect SNL clip that this rant reminds me of. You're welcome. (It's not on YouTube so I can't put it on the post. Just click the link below & it will take you to SNL's website to watch it.)
Text Message Evidence

Anyway let's get to what's really important... Divergent. It's really such a powerful book that I fell in love with from the start.  If you are like me and love to read what other people imagine what the future holds for us this is the book for you. It mainly revolves around a dystopian world with a focus on Chicago. Society is divided into five factions that are each dedicated to the cultivation of a particular virtue. The author does a much better job of sharing a brief summary of the book.


It's always a bonus to find a book with a strong, woman protagonist. The beginning was a bit slow, but quickly fell into place. Beatrice Prior otherwise known as Tris left me feeling like I could take on the world. One of the many wonders of reading.



The author, Veronica Roth, is from Chicago and only 23! I recently starting following her blog. She has a great, quirky personalty and reminds me of someone I'd totally want to be besties with. One of her most recent posts is about how the book is coming to the big screen. WOOHOO! The release date is set to be March 21, 2014. This is only the beginning... Divergent is the first of three books in the series. Insurgent is already out and the third will come to a book store near you next fall. Hopefully this will help me make a full recovery from deep depression I'm going to be put into when the last Twilight movie is released.

1 comment: